Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Deck, rearranged!

Bought a new outdoor table and umbrella last week, and they happen to match our old chairs perfectly. Now we can enjoy our deck much more, and I don't have to worry about fainting under the sun (a new pregnancy symptom for me). And when we are not on the deck, my plants can still enjoy the full sun they love. The table and umbrella were on sale, but the biggest bargain on the deck are the chairs. I found them on the sidewalk 1 mile away from our house 3 years ago. They were a little bit rusty, but otherwise in perfect condition. I brought them home, my dad (was visiting at the time) cleaned, sanded and spray painted them. Then I bought some outdoor fabric (on clearance) and foam, made those cushions. (The third one is still in basement) So, all 3 chairs costed me no more than $20! Of course I want those gorgeous expensive outdoor furniture, but since we live in a townhouse, with no fence, I don't want to risk losing them.

And what's happening in my garden? My strawberries are finally turning red! I have been picking them every evening now. Home grown ones are just SOOOOO SWEET! Of course, some of them got half eaten by the birds, but most of them are in great shape.
My cucumbers and yard long beans are doing great. I spent a couple of hours last Sun to tie the strings on the trellis, so they will have the climbing support they need. Look at my cucumber plants, so strong, so green, even have tiny femal flower buds when they are just 8 inches tall! Amazing! Crossing my fingers now, there won't be that many cucumber beetles this season.
My foxglove is finally ready to bloom! I started it 3 years ago from seeds, only one survived. It looked so sad for years, but finally accumulated enough energy to send out 2 flower spikes this year. The flowers are just starting to open, but you can already see the amazing colors! Cannot wait for it to fully open.
My columbines are at their peak. I actually have four different colors, white, lavender, purple, and wine red. But a couple of them need some support now, the flowers are too heavy to stand up straight in the wind and rain.
My lavenders started blooming too. Cannot wait to cut the flowers and dry them up for the closets.
I didn't plant any bachelor buttons this year, this one is just a volunteer. But it reminded me how much I used to love them. I planted lots of them along the driveway for two years, and they looked amazing. Just too much maintenance, the grass tried to take over, and mulch I used always got washed all over the driveway in heavy rain. So, I gave up. No more flower beds along the driveway!
And last, but not least, my lilies and purple coneflowers are ready to bloom. Love these perennials, they come back year after year, providing me striking colors and beauty, and the best of all, I don't need to do anything for them!

No comments: