Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Scrap Sewing Project

I have lots of scraps from previous projects, always try to find a way to use them. Yeah, I cannot even throw away a tiny bit of my fabric. Here are just two simple things I made, but they are very practical, so I'd like to share with you.

This first one was done last year, when I was still pregnant. There is a big gap underneath the basement door, so I always worry about AC or heat leak through there. I had a small area rug there before, but it's not covering the whole gap, and it made the hardwood floor underneath it very slippery for some reason. Then I saw this tutorial. I bought tons of fabric sample squares when Fabric Place closed down, they are perfect for type of small job. The piece I chose was not wide enough, So, I added a matching piece on either end. It was so easy to make, and so cheap too. I mean you can buy a dual draft stopper for about $10, but why do that while I have the materials already and I know how to sew. Mine probably costed me a couple of bucks, whatever you pay for the pipe insulation thing. And it's way prettier than the commercial ones.

I made this second one a couple of weeks ago. I always wanted to keep an extra roll of bath tissue nearby, just in case I forgot to refill it, Stubborn or my guests won't have to scream for help. I used to use plastic baskets, they are functional but not very pretty, and never the size I want. I saw lots of fabric baskets on flickr, they are so pretty, you can use up your scraps and make it to the size and shape you want. I chose the scraps for 3 baskets, perfect color match for my bathrooms, but ended up only making one. Just not enough time. And I have to say, I am quite happy with the result. I didn't really measure and design it carefully, just made it slightly bigger than two big rolls of tissue. Look, there is even enough space for a box of matches. Oh, the best part, it's fabric, I don't need to worry little caterpillar somehow manage to push it to the floor and break it. There is nothing to break here.


I will show you more of what I did with scraps. I probably will make this a series. Hmmm, I will try to keep up with it.

No comments: