Friday, June 26, 2009

Thrift Finds

Went to some yard sale and a couple of thrift stores last weekend. Even though I didn't get what I wanted, I did get some pretty good stuffs, a hand painted plate with my favorite color, a brand new photo album, a beautiful window curtain panel, a set of small casserole dish, a couple of baking pans, and an almost new Teddy bear.

Look at that beautiful painting on the plate. Don't you just love the color? It's so fresh, and perfect for a summer table. And it was only $.99! Oh, can you see the curtain panel underneath it? Again blue! It matches the nursery's wall color perfectly. I am going to make it into a tie-up curtain, and if there is any left over, I will make a pillow cover to match the curtain. I decided instead of framed arts (which is normally with glass and could fall on my baby and hurt her) I will make some butterfly cutouts, and tape them to the wall behind the crib, in a fun pattern. And there are blue, lavender, and white butterfly on this curtain. How perfect is that! So, $2, definitely worth it. Just wish there were two of them, then I could make more matching stuffs for the nursery, maybe a bedskirt for the crib, or a baby quilt.

I don't really know what to do with these casserole dishes, but they are so cute, and at $2 for a set of 6, how can I resist it? I will just use them to hold some dessert, or make some mini cake in them. I will think of a way to use these babies.

Oh, I was so excited when I found the right size floating shelf in white at Target, and they were only $10 each! I bought 4! The nursery is tiny, with the crib, twin bed and the glider, there is no more space left for a bookshelf. And I always loved floating shelves, so I was beyond happy to find them at such low price. BUT, when I tried to install them last night, I was SOOOOO disappointed. The drywall anchors and the screws just won't hold up. The shelf started leaning forward as soom as I put it up, even without anything on top. Now I know why they are so cheap! Have to return them tonight. And now I am left with two big holes on my wall! =( I will just have to build some ledge kind of shelves myself, and then I can secure them anywhere I want. Just need to ask DH to paint them white, since I am not supposed to touch paint now. Still I will buy a big can of those NO VOC paint, since I want to paint every piece of furniture in that nursery white later.

No comments: